|The Northern Territory Legislative Assembly building also known as "the Wedding Cake". (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Northern Territory prisoners to work at new abattoir later this year.
The government in the Northern Territory plans to sentence prisoners to jobs at a new abattoir in Darwin. It says this will provide them with valuable training and experience.
The Australian Agricultural Company, is building the abattoir, which will have up to 350 employees. The ABC reports the company plans to be operating by the end of the year.
Correctional Services Minister John Elferink says prisoners would get minimum wages after being trained, although the money will be held by the Territory to pay for their board.
How many of the 350 new jobs will be performed by prisoners and what do they mean by minimum wages?
- NT makes a bid for statehood
- Asylum seeker boat intercepted north of Darwin
- New year power price hike lifts cost of living again for Northern Territory households
- Acid spill at uranium mine in Northern Territory
- Uranium mine spill near Jabiru, Northern Territory, locals fear for Kakadu National Park
- East Point, Northern Territory