Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kiwi born rugby player dies of methanol poisoning in Bali...

Michael, Denton, TX June 2005
Image by mstephens7 via Flickr

  • Quantcast


    A former Dunedin man died in Bali after drinking a local cocktail which contained methanol, an autopsy has found.

  • Michael Denton, 29, who became a prominent player in Perth's Western Force A-side, was in Bali in September for an international rugby tournament.

  • He had been drinking at his hotel when he complained of feeling ill.
    He went to his room and when teammates checked on him he was unconscious. He could not be revived and died at Sanglah Hospital.

  • The hospital's coroner investigated his death and found it was from methanol poisoning, the West Australian newspaper reported on Wednesday.

  • The methanol was in an incorrectly distilled batch of the local drink arak.

  • Just 10ml of the poison is enough to make a person blind and any more than 100ml is almost always fatal.

  • At least four foreigners were among the 25 people who died from methanol poisoning during a two-week period in Bali and Lombok in 2009.

  • Authorities say that following a crackdown on illegal importation of alcohol, a number of rogue producers set up small factories which produced the sometimes poisonous arak.
    Originally from Dunedin, Mr Denton moved to Perth in 2006.

  • http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/6061296/Kiwi-rugby-player-died-from-fatal-Bali-brew
  • http://anzacbloggersunite.blog.co.uk
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quality content is the important to interest the people to go to see the web
page, that's what this site is providing.

My web page ... skin lightening products