Showing posts with label The New Zealand Herald. Show all posts
Showing posts with label The New Zealand Herald. Show all posts

Saturday, March 12, 2011

More names of Christchurch earthquake victims named...

Satellite image showing Christchurch and surro...Image via Wikipedia
More names of Christchurch earthquake victims named...



Police have released four more names of victims of the February 22 Christchurch earthquake.

They are:

* Siwen Huo, 28, of China;

* Kayo Kanamaru, 19, of Japan;

* Erica Avir Reyes Nora, 20, of the Philippines; and

* Caiying Ye, 27, of China.

This brings the total number of names released to 117.

Earlier today Civil Defence Minister John Carter extended the state of national emergency for a further seven days.

A state of national emergency was first declared on February 23, and extended on March 1 and March 7.

It is expected to continue for several more weeks, Mr Carter said.

"Continuing this declaration means the National Controller remains in control of the functions, duties, and powers of the Civil Defence emergency management groups and group controller. He works in consultation with central government and local authorities, including the mayor, on this massive recovery operation," Mr Carter said.


"It has been nearly three weeks since the earthquake and I am constantly impressed by the willingness of everyone involved in putting Christchurch back together to pull out all stops to ensure people's most urgent needs are met as quickly as they can be."

Under the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002, a state of national emergency can be declared for a maximum of seven days at a time only.

Thousands expected to return

Thousands of people are potentially expected to return to Christchurch in coming weeks, Civil Defence national controller John Hamilton says.

Most of those returning would be due to the fact that 110 schools will reopen tomorrow, rising to 143 by the end of the week - or 88 per cent of schools in Christchurch.

"In addition, by the end of the week 234 early childhood education centres will be open," he said.

This would raise issues around power and water services, he said.

Mr Hamilton said the sewerage system in Christchurch was still fragile and authorities are not sure how they will cope if it rains.

The shortage of portable toilets in the city had been largely remedied by the arrival of another 960 from the United States on Saturday.

"Another 200 will arrive on Tuesday and both lots will be assembled and distributed to the suburbs as soon as possible," Mr Hamilton said.

The suburbs of Avondale, Bromley and Avonside would benefit first from the arrival of another shipment of chemical toilets, boosting the total number to 19,000.

Rob Jamieson of Orion says just 550 customers remain without power in Christchurch outside the CBD.

Access for business owners

Business owners from two of the restricted areas of the central business district (CBD), Zone Four and the Red Zone, would be allowed controlled access to their properties to recover essential items, Mr Hamilton said.

However, he warned that access would return to "zilch" after the recovery time was up. All business owners eligible to re-enter their premises have been contacted.

"We understand business owners will want to retrieve key items but urge them to be patient with us as we work through this complex process," he said, adding that some businesses owners would not be admitted because of safety reasons.

Acknowledgements: - NZ HERALD STAFF, NZPA

Enhanced by Zemanta

Monday, June 28, 2010

Cadbury chocolate confectionary company's fall from grace affects its perceived public trust


Confectionary giant Cadbury has fallen from grace after six years as New Zealand's most trusted brand, making way for food producer Wattie's to claim the title.


Wattie's, makers of a wide range of pantry staples, beat 132 brands to win the award in the sixth annual most-trusted survey, Reader's Digest New Zealand reported.



Long-time title holder Cadbury fell to 36th equal place after widespread criticism over its use of palm oil.



The firm briefly replaced cocoa butter with palm oil last year as a cost-cutting measure.



Palm oil production has been blamed for the rapid destruction of rainforest habitats and remained the single greatest threat to the existence of orangutans, and many other Southeast Asian wildlife species.



Cadbury also came under fire last year after shifting production of Kiwi favourites, including Moro, overseas.



Automobile giant Toyota came in second place and won the automobile category, while Sony came in third and won both the electronics and computer categories.





Whittaker's, a New Zealand chocolate company, debuted on the list at number five.



The 2010 Reader's Digest Trust Survey was based on a representative sample of 500 people aged 18 years and over.



Acknowledgements: - NZPA, with NZ Herald writers


Enhanced by Zemanta